FastTrack Institute presents finalist proposals for mobility solutions in Dade County.

FastTrack Institute presents finalist proposals for mobility solutions in Dade County.

The FastTrack Institute held a conference on Thursday December 14th to announce the finalists of a competition to bring unique mobility solutions to Miami-Dade County. The event was attended by Miami-Dade County Mayor, Carlos Gimenez, City of Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, County Commission Chairman Esteban Bovo and various other dignitaries and transportation specialists including the Chambers Chair of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Sergio Abreu, Jr.

Over 10,000 man hours were dedicated to this project in the last 16 weeks to prepare the final recommendations. Mayor Gimenez pointed out that currently only 4 percent of Miami-Dade County residents use rail transportation, the remaining 96 percent travel on some form of rubber wheel vehicle. This is the main cause of traffic congestion in the area. He also explained that the County is working on a smart traffic light system that will identify the flow of traffic and react accordingly to keep traffic moving.

Both finalists teams presented an app concept that used incentives for people to car pool and ride share in an effort to reduce the number of cars on the road by at least 10 percent. The two concepts were named and citimoov and featured ways for people to utilize the app to identify others travelling to similar destinations and, either share a personal vehicle or use other apps like Uber and Lyft to ride together.

Both teams will be looking for co-builders to take the ideas to the next level as well as venture capitalists that would be interested in investing. The FastTrack Institute will continue to support both finalists.


Top Investors

Baptist Health South Florida
Bank of America
CareerSource South Florida
Carnival Corporation & PLC
Florida International University
Florida Power & Light
Wells Fargo