Real estate has been a defining force in our community since before Miami’s founding in 1896. Julia Tuttle convinced her neighbors, Mary and William Brickell to offer land to Henry Flagler to build his railroad into the area, and the transactions have not stopped since. The Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce’s Real Estate Committee has historically worked to remain ahead of the curve, ahead of the issues, and helped shape the face of real estate in Miami-Dade. From the suburban sprawl of the 70’s and 80’s, to the resurgence of the urban experience of the past two decades, to the creation of new ‘urban nodes’ throughout much of our community, the Real Estate Committee has been a major component of myriad important decisions over the decades which continues to this day.
Our mission of the Real Estate Committee is to be an integral part of our community’s real estate landscape. It aims to inform and educate our members and the community at-large on the state of the industry with the goal of helping lead conversations on issues, trends and developments that impact the Greater Miami community through content focused events and media outreach. The committee also functions in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors by offering recommendations, suggestions and formal guidance relating to existing or prospective legislative issues, programs or activities that are shaping the real estate community.
- Identify and monitor the interests and concerns of the business community relating to local real estate development trends and associated issues
- Identify opportunities for educating our membership and the public about real estate development trends and associated issues
- Establish rapport with key citizen constituencies to facilitate communication that can be utilized to obtain public
- understanding and gain support on real estate issues of significance to the business community
- Serve as an “information clearing house” and “sounding board” to recommend public policy items on local, state and federal legislative issues to the Board of Directors
Participation in the Real Estate Committee is open to all Greater Miami Chamber members who have interests or concerns related to real estate. Members include developers, realtors, investors and the broad range of professionals who are engaged with the industry.
The Real Estate Committee is led by a Committee Chair and Vice Chair, who are elected by the Board of Directors for a
one-year term. The Committee Chair is responsible for the effective functioning of the Real Estate Committee and ensuring its goals and activities are aligned with the committee’s mission and objectives.
Read the committee's 2019 - 2020 goals here.