Started in 1976, at a time when signs of progress in downtown were stagnant, Alvah H. Chapman, Jr was called upon to lead this action-oriented committee. The group’s vision evolved into a plan of action and a new name was given to the task. They called their program the New World Center. The mission of the program and committee was to have a catalytic influence on downtown projects in respect of the public and private sectors. New World Center has arrived at landing pad and needs launching pad in the New Urban World of today that still encounters challenges of affordability, workforce housing, homeless, traffic, sea level rise and more.
New World Center
Mitchell A. Bierman
Weiss Serota Helfman Cole & Bierman, P.L.
Convene a Task force to redefine and repurpose the committee to address future issues of the Next Miami, what Miami will look like in 2035
- Different focus and not development of downtown Miami but overall approach to development of all aspects of quality of life within a development model that encourages dense course communities and smart planning
- Focus is about urban life, real estate development and land use but also on technology, transportation and Smart cities approaches and focuses on all things – Next Miami
- Miami 2035 is not just downtown, it’s also the urban nodes around county: Dadeland, Doral, Aventura, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Palmetto Bay and others. Bigger opportunity to paint Miami 2035 and what will it look like. Develop and approve education focused legislative issues for
- government affairs committee and actively advocate for priorities through Chamber visits and other activities
Celebrate Miami’s central business core’s growth and development:
- At the December Trustee luncheon, present the Alvah H. Chapman Jr. Award of Excellence for the outstanding achievements of an individual, organization and young leader who have made significant contributions and set the standard for the development of Miami’s central business core’s economy, culture, promotion, education, beautification and preservation