Transporation & Infrastructure
Leverage partnerships and dialogue between business community, transportation officials, and local, state, and federal governmental agencies to improve transportation infrastructure and mobility through educational forums, legislative and policy initiatives and improved ridership.
Educate Chamber members and business community on the latest development on transportation.
- Organize quarterly educational forums that address current and future transportation plans and initiatives of the County, the TPO, MDX, SFRTA and Brightline as appropriate
- Organize and present two Transit Days events in fall and spring at different locations around the County to show how we can use current transit solutions to get around
- Work with existing Ambassador Programs at universities, colleges and at the Chamber to assist the TPO and the County Transit Department in delivering grass root education to neighborhood associations on available transit and mobility programs and initiatives
- Partner with and support CITT Transportation Summit on September 28 & 29, bringing community together
Measures of Success:
- Track attendance and increase participation in education forum events by 10 percent
- Partner with County and TPO to develop or work with a survey they developed to measure our business community understanding of transportation plans and initiatives they are promoting
Evaluate, support, and advocate for legislative and policy initiatives of the County, the TPO, MDX, SFRTA, All Aboard and FDOT that address local, state and federal programs that we want to adopt as policies for our community.
- Create regional dialogue with TPO and transit agencies of the tri-county area; as with SFRTA and All Aboard Florida
- Create a coalition of Florida's four largest urban areas (SoFla., Orlando, TPA, JAX) to advocate for state transit funding as a bloc (work with Chambers in these areas side by side TPO/MPO’s work together). Look at federal funding and alternative funding sources going away and how it impacts business and mobility.
- Advocacy for developing funding program for the SMART Plan, also includes pushing public sector to complete PD&E studies that can take three or more years. Advocate for completion of components.
- Advocate for a SMART plan with the most technologically advanced solutions, including maintaining a focus on the full plan and not singling out individual sections of the plan and focusing on first and last mile programs.
- Advocate for funding for Underline, SMART Plan and Transportation Quickbuild Program
- Support the completion of Brightline and defend against legislative and community efforts to eliminate or cripple the program
Measures of Success:
- Track the number of meetings with local, state and federal governmental and transportation officials and the tangible initiatives that result from those meetings
- Develop a legislative package that membership can support and get behind
- Create a tracking mechanism for how we are promoting policy to be approved by the Board of Directors, i.e. scorecard or report card
Partner with the County, the TPO, MDX, SFRTA and Brightline to increase the ridership of current transportation programs including Metrorail, Metromover, Metrobuses, BERT, Tri-Rail, Brightline, South Florida Vanpool and other public and private mobility programs.
- Establish a campaign targeting GMCC member businesses to educate them and their employees on available transit programs and options for employees to get to work in lieu of using their vehicles
- Encourage employers to incentivize employees to use South Florida Vanpool and educate about the benefits and gains of using the program. (County operation of South Florida Commuter Services)
- Encourage and advocate for municipal improvements that make our streets more pedestrian friendly and walkable
- Leverage the Chambers marketing and recognition programs to incentivize member businesses that implement programs for their employees to use public transportation
Measures of Success:
- Partner with South Florida Commuter Services
- Track the number of member business that provide incentives to their employees to use public transportation